Catch-Up Post

Hello–it’s Sunday evening and we just had a fifty-degree day in Chicago. Julian, Oliver, and I spent it in the woods. I had a full week of healthy eating, workouts, and doctor appointments, so I’ll try to bring things up to speed here starting from last Sunday.

I spent the morning grading. Sometimes, it’s really hard. I know that over time, teaching styles and learning styles change, and it’s important to evolve with resources and technology, but I feel like a lot of college students do not have the foundation needed for writing skills, and it can be kind of sad. I spend hours and hours providing them all with lengthy, important feedback, but the next week, they’re doing the same thing and it feels like I’m talking to a wall. After grading, I walked Oliver and then headed to Aldi for my weekly shop. I grabbed pineapple. kombucha, bone broth, butternut squash, flax seeds, potatoes, mixed greens, apples, green beans, raspberries, blackberries, tomatoes, zucchini, and avocado.

For dinner that evening, I made roasted chicken breast, butternut squash, Trader Joe’s cauliflower gnocchi, and broccoli.

I just remembered that I never blogged about Valentine’s Day! Julian isn’t the biggest fan, but he always celebrates for me, and I love that. After I got home from my workout, we ordered a gluten-free pizza from Home Run Inn with a Caesar salad and played video games and watched YouTube. It was a low-key night, and I was happy to spend it with my Valentine. He also went to Magnolia Bakery (my favorite) for banana pudding. So I ended up eating some dairy and sugar that day. I still aim to keep them out of my diet. I am not sensitive to them, but I am trying to do what is best for my thyroid. He also got me an adorable stuffed animal. As lame as it is, I still love them even as an adult!

Now, back to the week! I won’t get into too much detail, because weekdays are mostly filled with work, workouts, and healthy eating. On Monday, I did not work out because I had my annual gynecologist appointment after work. I also had an endocrinologist appointment on Thursday. I was disappointed because even with all my hard dietary work, my TSH has only moved from 0.028 to 0.058. So, there’s improvement, but at a snail’s pace. My doctor wants to put me on medication now. It’s not ideal, but I would really like to see if it will help me to not feel so terrible all the time. We also need to continue testing to see if my thyroid nodule is the root of the hyperthyroidism. So, my workouts for the week were kind of limited. I did a brief yoga flow Tuesday, a small 20-minute, low-impact workout Thursday, and did a brief arm workout and cardio Friday. Saturday, I did a leg workout at home.

Meals for the week included salmon with potatoes (red and purple) and green beans, zucchini noodles sauteed with onion, garlic, and mushrooms, Trader Joe’s cauliflower and broccoli patties, sweet potatoes, and broccoli, and cauliflower rice with mixed veggies and potatoes.

I also made some low-carb lemon-berry muffins with almond flour, coconut milk, berries, lemon juice, an egg, vanilla, honey, marine collagen, and baking powder.

Highlights of my work week included finishing up some articles I’ve spent a lot of time on and having a few meetings in one of the fanciest rooms on campus, the President’s Dining Room. It’s vintage and beautiful, and I enjoy spending time there.

I enjoy work, but I was relieved when Friday rolled around. After my workout, I came home. We decided to pick up Wendy’s for dinner. I got the pecan apple salad that came with pecans, grilled chicken, mixed greens, and raspberry vinaigrette. I added strawberries, too. I also treated myself to some non-dairy chocolate ice cream which was delicious. I stayed up and read my book for a while. Julian fell asleep way before me. Friday nights usually hit us hard, but I was feeling a little better than I normally do so I took advantage.

Saturday, we went for an early drive in the woods. After, I came home and scrubbed the apartment clean and did my leg workout with lunges, squats, kicks, and deadlifts. I made a quick breakfast of eggs, turkey bacon, and potatoes. I am not eating eggs too often, but these were from a small farm so not raised with hormones. After, I headed over to my Grandma’s to help out and visit with her and my mom. It’s a 40-minute drive, but I had my Crime Junkies podcast to listen to so it wasn’t so bad! I stopped at the Aldi out by my Grandma’s and it was so nice! I also stopped at a Trader Joe’s, and the cashier told me liked my freckles and eyes, and I almost laughed out loud because I have been feeling so crappy and ugly lately with all my thyroid and hormone problems, but I think we self-criticize and scrutinize so much that we forget that other people see us very differently, so it was a nice reminder. I went there specifically for wild blueberries and kale gnocchi!

At my Grandma’s, I swept and washed her floor and vacuumed her living room and then made them my homemade chicken soup with bone broth. They both thought it was delicious and it was so nice to be complimented on my cooking by my Grandma, because she is the real cook in the family! Julian and I spent some time at home but he was in bed by ten again on Saturday night! I wasn’t tired, so I stayed up and watched Marriage Story on Netflix. Anyone else see it? Thoughts? I liked it, but it was really long, and it was not as raw or emotion-inducing as something like Blue Valentine.

This morning, I was up early to get as much grading done as possible before we headed out to the woods. I made gluten-free French toast which came out crispy and delicious! We explored a couple different preserves and Oliver had a wonderful time. Pictures coming next week!

Well, here we go to the last week of February. I am looking forward to warmer weather and hoping that the medication I will be taking starts making a difference in the way I feel. I have healing on my mind!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s